Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Concert going for Oldies.

I went to see Judas Priest with my step brother and one of his mates on Saturday. He is 16, a drummer in his own band and ENORMOUS! He is 6ft 3, size 14 feet and the proverbial gentle giant. His mate is the Bass player, and about 3 ft fuck all. Really funny seeing the two of them stood together.

It was great. They are a band from my youth - I listened to a lot more Rock and Heavy Metal when I was at sixth form and the like, but it is still close to my heart. I'd forgotten how much I like live concerts. Memories of all the ones I went to when I was younger came flooding back, I'd forgotten how many I had been to, and have no idea why I 'got out of the habit'.

The weirdest thing was that the crowd, I swear, was the same fucking people that were at the last concert that I was at. Seriously. The last proper metal concert I went to was in 1991. The same age range of people were there, which doesn't seem odd, except that the range was in relation to mine rather than a 17 - 35 or whatever age range. There was about the same amount of predominately my age people, and loads more older! It was fantastic, such a mellow atmosphere with all of the people so obviously there for the music and nothing else. Oddly mellow, considering the aggression and power in the style of music, if you know what I mean. You expect mellow at a Sting concert, not at a Judas Priest one. I actually only went because my step brother wanted to go, and his mum was worried that he might get stabbed or something at such a 'hardcore' metal gig. What a laugh. Unless it was with a knitting needle.

Top night out.

And in true Metal Rebel style, I spent 3 hours washing the car the next day at my Dad's. I ROCK!

3 Comments:

At 23 March, 2005 21:20, Blogger Andy said...

I'm off to see Judas Preist next Wednesday.

I hope they have revved up a bit by then otherwise 30 quid for mellow. Hmmmm

BTW how were the Scorpions?

 
At 23 March, 2005 21:42, Blogger Brock said...

The crowd was mellow (before and after the gig), very good natured.

The Priest, on the other hand, played a storming 2 hour set. Plenty of power, mental guitars and Halford in best screaming form. Good stage as well.

Scorpions were surprisingly good. Never been much of a fan, but they did ok, in my opinion. Their drummer is a bit of a flamboyant fella. All fancy twirls and throwing drumsticks. He's pretty damn good, but I was willing him to drop one.

Like the rather bored looking bloke in the headlining band did...

Hehehe

 
At 24 March, 2005 12:54, Blogger Warhead said...

Yeah, baby, nostalgia is great.

I went to see Procul Harum with the Halle orchestra and choir a couple of years ago and it was, as you say, a mellow crowd. And the band rocked - perhaps not as energetically as in't old days, but we can forgive them that.

It's nice to see that these old fogeys can still fill a venue, even if it is with Zimmer frame weilding pensioners.

I was tempted to buy tickets for Crosby, Stills and Nash, but they're a bit pricy and from what I've seen of them live recently, it might be best not to bother.

But it's Tears for Fears next month.

Huzzah!!11

 

Post a Comment

<< Home