Thursday, October 21, 2004

Alan Coren

Right. I may be the last person on earth to finds out about this bloke, I would not be at all surprised, but this guy makes me laugh a lot.

I have been missing new stuff that makes me laugh out loud, and I think I may have found it. Not a lot makes me properly laugh out loud, not on TV (mainly only such things as Never Mind the Buzzcocks, or live shows by Billy Connolly or Eddie Izzard et al), and only one so far in print. The legend that is (for I find it too depressing to use the word 'was') Douglas Adams. I could read his books from cover to cover till the cows came home.

They own the books, see. I just borrow them and they want them back. What else did you think cows did with their time while they are standing there being milked? They read. And to think that you thought cows were stupid!

Well, alright, they are. But it's not for lack of trying to improve themselves with the power of the printed word, ok?

Anyway. You (if your humour even approximates mine) need this in your life. I am only about an 1/8th of the way through it, and already I am getting the feeling of witnessing genius strokes of mind association/tangential application of imagination. Saltation, dear boy, this is the sort of stuff that you and me want to write. Believe me, this man will make you shake, shimmy and generally still be awake at 3 unable to put the book down, making you tired for work for the next day. He makes the sort of leaps of imagination that (if you are still aware of the original premise, and sometimes if you know your history) will seem so surreal, yet will still still be simple enough to make you think "Damn!!! MY mind works like that! Why the fuck can't I get this sort of thing down onto paper as well as this?"

It rocks. Seriously.

Try it. It is, after all, cheap. Being cheap is close to the hearts of the majority of my readers, I am aware. For different reasons, perhaps, but important nonetheless. If you don't buy it, then borrow it and read it.

3 Comments:

At 22 October, 2004 00:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't quite forgive Coren for (a) The Daily Mail columns; (b) foisting Victoria Coren on the world.

I used to pick on Mark Lamarr at school, as it happens. And he was older than me.

Vanessa

 
At 22 October, 2004 07:27, Blogger Brock said...

There is an argument that if you read the Daily Mail, you forfeit your right to much in the way of consideration, but I will not swing that particular rod today...

;)

 
At 22 October, 2004 14:07, Blogger Brock said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home