Sunday, October 17, 2004

TV.

Grumpy old man department.

BLOODY television. It irritates the shit out of me that the adverts are louder than the actual programmes. I am here sorting some things out on the 'puter, and watching some TV in the background. I get it to a reasonable volume so that I can still be aware of what is going on without distracting me too much. A nice balance between loud enough to allow me to tune in and out of it without it being too loud as to be intrusive.

Then the programme stops, and the ADVERTS COME ON AT 130 DECIBELS!!!111

Pisses me off no end. I am sure that they have done some toss-arse marketing study that says that people try and switch off in ad breaks, and so you must make the adverts 'stick out' in such a way as to draw people in to it and 'get' the message. Or maybe it is because people are trying to get up and make tea and the like, so the advertising must compete with the extra volume in the room. Whatever the reason, it gets my goat.

Same thing with radio and the DJ's voices. You get the volume right for the songs, and then some blathering, over-enthusiastic twat comes on and shouts about how funny/great/cutting edge they are. Sara Cox is one of the worst protagonists of this, thank god she is pregnant and so is off the airwaves. People generally listen to the radio for the music. Sort it out, you bastards!

Grumble grumble blah, blah.

Carry on.

/grumpy old man mode off

2 Comments:

At 18 October, 2004 10:41, Blogger Lexie's Mum said...

Part of me wants to say, "get a life", and part of me wants to agree with you emphatically and wholeheartedly 'cos the volume of adverts and Sara Cox annoy me intensely as well. Sara Cox actually made me change radio stations!

 
At 18 October, 2004 12:17, Blogger Noely Noel said...

Adverts on both radio and TV are compressed to high hell to make them stand out from regular programming and, I agree, it sucks arse.

Radio DJ voices are generally output at the same optimum level as the music... I guess it could be that Sara Cox has an immeasurably large gob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home