Saturday, November 27, 2004

You know when you need to go on holiday when...

As I drove the 80 miles to my mates house for dinner, prior to being taken to the bus station for the ride to the airport, the signs were clear.

We (me and a mate Emma) were going to Tenerife on a fairly last minute decision to get some Sun and some relaxing. We aimed for the hot weather, and I think that both of us were looking forward to it more and more as time went on. I drove from mine with typical English weather for November, if anything a little mild at 10 degrees with a bit of damp. However, as I drove the rain started to fall with a vengeance and the temperature steadily dropped (I have a temp gauge in my car) so that by the time I was at my destination it had fallen to 0. That's right. Freezing.

So then, of course, the rain had turned to snow.

Freaky weather. It was so sudden that as I knocked on Em's parents door I was outside shivering, and there was nearly half an inch of snow on the cars outside! This may not sound a lot, but bear in mind that it was 10 degrees about an hour earlier! Freaky. They were all shocked when I said that it was snowing outside and all had to go and look (in fairness, I do have somewhat of a reputation for winding people up about everything and anything. Hence their sceptisism).

As I had driven the last bit, the weather worsened and I saw 2 separate accidents, several floods of about 6-12 inches deep on dark roads and one road closure from the speed of the temperature drop. Amazing how most people in this country are incapable of reacting to the slightest change in the weather...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home