Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Bah humbug and all that shite

Christmas, and some random thoughts about it. Kind of an introspective, for those that only want funny - nack off! Christmas and it's significance to Brock...

As a religious festival?
Leaves me cold. I have no religion, I have no beliefs that relate to 'higher' beings or external influences, so it has no significance to me. Meh, basically.

As a family time?
Again, Christmas always meant to me (having parents that separated when I was too young to remember differently) a time of trying to decide who to piss off the most by seeing them on Boxing Day. It was always a difficult time. Either parent always felt second best, and despite the fact that one of them definitely was, we were well enough brought up to not want them to feel that, and so felt an urge to alternate year by year. This meant that we felt bad that the parent that we actually wanted to be with, felt second best unfairly. Hence more guilt. Hence more stress. Hence Christmas is associated with feeling shit. I really like seeing my family (particularly my Sister and her kids) but that has no link to Christmas, it's just a good excuse and there is loads of Bank Holidays.

As a festival?
I don't get it. It celebrates either something I find laughable as a concept, or is something so hideously commercial that it starts in August and pisses me off lots. What the fuck is the point of starting the build up to Christmas so early? Why doesn't it piss off the people that get enjoyment from it?

As a time for getting presents?
I never really get all that excited about stuff. I never get worked up about birthdays (well, mine anyway). Other people are different, if they are making a fuss, so will I. I appreciate other people's excitement and enjoyment for these sort of things, it just doesn't do anything for me. If no-one acknowledged my birthday (no cards or phone calls) I really don't think it would bother me. I guess that makes me weird. I never had a birthday that I can remember when I was a kid (at least after I was 7) and I was always asked, but never wanted one. It's never worked for me, I simply don't see what all the fuss is about. Most of the presents I have had since I was 18 have been functional (the stuff I need for everyday life that I can't afford, for instance). The last 3 years, my Dad has given me a flight to see my Sister, for instance. It enables me to do stuff. I couldn't give a shit if all I get for Christmas is one card with "I owe you one flight to Ireland when you want to take it". No sense of occasion, but I don't care.

Does all this make me weird?

It just doesn't get me worked up, excited - any of it. I love Christmas Dinner, I love the snow (if I ever see any), I even like the way everyone else gets excited, it just all falls on it's arse a bit if they expect me to be excited too!

Anyway. There was no point to this. I was just exploring it in words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home