Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Moving house again.

What a ball ache.

I have hired a van, I need to go over to my Dad's and pick up a bed frame, then pack all my crap into (currently only theoretical) boxes, lob it into said van and drive 80 miles to unpack it all again.

I was trying to work out how many times I have moved in my life (house, that is, rather than a measure of inactivity) and I lost count. Seriously. I got as far as 24 times since I left home for the first time, but there may be more that I haven't counted. I wasn't including the 3 months that I lived in B&B accommodation in 2001, either. I spent part of this time in a house run by a woman called Freda. She had a voice like a handful of gravel being thrown into a metal bin, I reckon she must have smoked woodbines continuously for about 40 years. I had been given the number and the contact name, and rang it:

"Hello?" - (cue sound of gravel being flung heartily)
- "Oh, hi. Can I speak to Freda?"
"Speaking."
- "Er... are you sure?"

Honest. I couldn't help myself. There was no way on earth I believed it was a woman until I turned up at the door and checked that there was no-one hiding behind the sofa, speaking whenever she opened her mouth. Freaky.

So. This will be at least my 25th time of packing all my crap away and transporting it across the country. I must have the most travelled domestic goods of all time. No wonder my TV has crap reception, it probably doesn't know which way to look for the damn signal.

It's at times like this that I start to feel almost grateful (kind of) that I've pissed most of the money I've earned in my life up the wall on living, and spent very little of it on material possessions.

Hmmm. What a result eh? That makes me feel soooo much better.

At least the new flat is rather funky and cool, though. That does actually make it worth while, even if for the first time since Uni I have friends who live locally and who are always around to go and have fun/do exciting things/get drunk with. Never really realised how much I missed that till I am leaving it behind this time.

Christ, this post is taking a depressing turn, and it's only the third one. Cut it out, Dude! Think of something stupid or you'll bore the (probably 3) people away that read this...

Did I tell you the one about the Duck, the barbers pole and the Patagonian Pygmy dentist?

Well, there was this duck, see...

2 Comments:

At 17 August, 2004 22:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arses dear, can't get into my Blogger account. cant remeber the password or the email address!
Anyhoo, Hope you're enjoying the get together or whatever it is you're having!

Hanni

 
At 19 August, 2004 23:20, Blogger Sal said...

the solution!
Autorotative Memorabilia Storage

 

Post a Comment

<< Home